Fall 2004 CS Undergraduate Studies Committee Notes
- 8/30/04 11:30-12:30 - (DG) Present were Nazli, David, Matt, Shlomo,
and Zhiling. Agenda: Go over plans for the semseter. Overall, I am very
pleased with what this committee has done and I am even more happy that
all of you will stay on this committee. I think our key goal now is to
maintain the improvements we have developed, discuss ways that we can keep
the curriculum up to date and talk about how to improve our existing feedback
process. Thanks again for all your help.
- Publishe CSFreshmanAdvisingGuideFall2004.doc
- Assign people to review feedback from the Spring
- We decided to collect detailed materials for review for CS487 this
semester, see memo to request
- Review of CS350 from last semester(Step C3) - Various portions
of the course: Exams, Homework, Projects, Course Notes were assigned to
members of the committee. Since Wei Gen was not present, he was assigned
the task of reviewing all of the portions of the course. I have placed
printed materials in your mailbox today for the Review of CS350 Spring
2004. Everyone was given a copy of the the Course Overview for CS350 and
Syllabus for CS350 Spring 2004. You also have received the following for
your assigned detailed review Nazli - Exams David/Wai Gen - Lecture Notes
(to large to print, will email zip of pdfs) Labs - Zhiling Project - Shlomo.
The point of our review is to see how the current offering supports the
goals listed on the Course Overview and to develop a list of proposed changes
for the Course Manager/Instructors. Please email any feedback to me, I
- Discuss means by which we can obtain more feedback on the curriculum
- The committee decided to meet with incoming Freshman at the end of
the semester to obtain their feedback on the curriculum
- Representatives to the university undergraduate studies committee will
be Matt and Shlomo.
- ACM Liason - Vinayak Mookherjee <firstname.lastname@example.org> set up
a date when there will be a) student feedback to faculty seminar b) student
peer advising Joe can tell you more about these -- we should be able to
provide pizza for them. Let me know some proposed dates and I'll work with
our committee to finalize things. Thanks. DG
- We will meet again next month.
- CS487 Course Manager/Instructor has asked for delay in review of CS487,
- We decided to collect detailed materials for review for CS430 this
- The ACM student feedback seminar has been scheduled on Monday, Nov.
29 at 5pm in room 118 Siegel Hall
- CS330 - I met with Kapoor about CS330, he thought it looked fine as
is, but he suggested we get a meeting together of instructors/course managers
for cs330-Discrete Structures and CS331-Data Structures and CS430-Intro
to Algorithms to make sure we have proper coverage between them. I thought
we could shoot for that next semester
- Review Recent Alumni Survey (Step B3) -
We had a evening pizza session with 9 recent CS alumni Results
- Review Co-Op/Employer Survey (Step B4) - no longer available
from Career Development Center. Will need to develop our own survey and
method to get to employers.
- (MB) Creating/Distrubuting/Collecting Student Course Assessments(Step
C1) and Instructor Course Assessments(Step C2)
- 12/6/04 Attending were Matt Bauer, Zhiling Lan, Wai Gen Yee, and David
- ACM Student Feedback Forum (Step C5) held
11/29/05 - Summary here including outcomes
- We discussed the need for more feedback to course managers. Wai Gen
was tasked to work out ideas for getting more feedback to course managers.
I'd like to ask Shlomo and Nazli to help him with this.
- Meet with faculty teaching a course for the first time to review objectives
and expectations for the course. CS115(Bauer) (DONE)
CS350 Detailed Course Review (from Spring 2004 Offering) (Step A3)