Fall 2006 CS Undergraduate Studies Committee Notes
- Monday 10/16/06 Mtg
- Possible schedule for ACM/LUG Computer Science Department Feedback
Sessionfor Undergraduates I asked all UG CS majors which time was better
on a monday 12:45- 1:45 or 4:30-5:30, and got about an even split for both
times (16 students like12:45, 13 students like 4:30, 12 students can do
both). So maybe we could do 2 sessions, one at lunch and one at dinner?
I am looking at Monday 10/30. Here is a blurb I will send out PLEASE REPLY
TO THIS EMAIL IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON ATTENDING Come to the ACM/LUG Computer
Science Department Feedback Session for Undergraduates! Monday, Oct. 30
12:45-1:45 OR 4:30-5:30pm (attend either session) in ?? Stuart Building
Free Pizza and Soda We want to hear from undergraduates regarding courses,
faculty, curriculum,labs, and anything else related to the Computer Science
department. PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON ATTENDING
- I have the materials from Spring 06 offering of CS487 for review (Step
C3) (SYLLABUS/NOTES, HW, EXAMS, PROJECTS). We basically have to look
at the current course objectives, see if they still make sense, and review
the material for how well it supports the objectives. Do people want to
volunteer for particular items to review? SYLLABUS/NOTES HW EXAMS PROJECT
- Alumni Survey - See the results attached.
(Step B3) Maybe we can all individually review and look for "big
ideas" to take from the comments that we can discuss at the next meeting.
We do not have to try to address every item,some items are old and alreay
been addressed since the student graduated. Here are RESPONSES/ACTIONS.
- CS440 chosen for collection of materials in Fall 2006 for detailed
- Monday 11/20/06 Mtg So we are set for Monday from 1:30 - 2:30. Here's
what we need to do:
- Review materials from Spring 06 offering of CS487 (I will bring remaining
- Review Alumni Summer 06 Survey (Attached) - Review Fall 06 UG Feedback
Session (Attached) I would very much like to put together some clear changes
that we need to make or at least consider as a result of this feedback.
I think its by far the best feedback we've gotten in a long time.
- Start considering ABET requirements Please look at these feedback results
and come with some ideas for actions based on these suggestions.
- Meeting Notes:
- The whole committee Attended on 11/20/06.
- Key topics included a detailed discussion of the undergrad
feedback seminar (Step C5) . We received 5 pages of comments
and reviewed them at the meeting. Key Actions from this review: -- Consider
alternatives to how we teach Freshmen -- Improve some lab facilities (Matt
will talk to our CNS representatives on a variety of detailed issues) --
Develop clear policy to all instructors on how to handle cheating -- Ensure
that no TA schedules office hours during a class -- put together web site
that describes projects for undergrads to do research -- invite faculty
to CS 100
- We also started considering ABET requirements
- Decided to collect materials for 487 again since the instructor has
- CS430 Topics Review discussion attached
- CS Advisory Committee Feedback (Step C4) - no meeting held in
- (MB) Creating/Distrubuting/Collecting Student Course Assessments(Step
C1) and Instructor Course Assessments(Step C2)
- Meet with faculty teaching a course for the first time to review objectives
and expectations for the course. CS115(Koutsogiannkis), CS330(Sasaki),CS350(Hood),
CS445(aldawud), CS450(Lee), CS487(Leung) (DONE)
- Subject: RE: CS350 meeting It was a good meeting-lots of good discussion.
We mostly agree on the objectives for CS 350, just have different perspectives
on achieving those objectives. I am planning on trying a different approach
next semester that is somewhere in between Michaelís and the old CS 350
approach. I think I have a good idea of the interface for 351 and will
work to be sure all the necessary concepts are incorporated in the new
approach. Neither of us thought it was necessary to have 331 as a prereq