Fall 2011 CS Undergraduate Studies Committee Notes
Fall 2011 CS UG Studies Committee Meeting Notes Tuesday, September 06,
- Review the following - F11_IndustryBoardRequestedStats.xls
- Review CS advisor board issues/response F11_CS
Board issues.docx F11_advisoryboardresponse-v3.docx
- Last CS advisory board meeting has identified a couple of actions needed
for undergraduate program (see the attached minutes). F11_Advisory
Board Meeting Notes September 23 2011-v2.docx
- - work with Liz Friedman in CSL on understanding the market size for
the BS in science and MS in CS degrees before we develop/advertise the
new combined degree programs
- - understand how "hot topics" can be easily integrated in
UG program and marketed (possibly mobile computing, social networking,
gaming, and interactivity of media), while making sure we have faculty
- - work on CS100, make it a "really cool class"
- - once grad program picks a specialization or two to concentrate on
for MS, make sure we capitalize for UG too
- - understand how "bigs data" idea can be integrated in UG
- - Compare IIT enrollment trends to national trends. Are enrollments
going up or down in line with national trends or are there unique things
happening at IIT?
- - Set up a simple survey that all new students take and track the results
every semester. The key question should be "Why did you decide to
study at IIT?"
- - Identify what region of the country students go after they graduate.
- - Enable and encourage the Career Management Center to give information
on certificate and degree programs to students who are looking for a job.
- - What percentage of CS students stay at IIT for graduate school after
receiving their B.S. degree?
- - What percentage of CS students return to IIT on a part-time basis
after they get a job?
- - would like to see how we can help the girl camp and CS100, and to
promote to write proposals for education grants.
Monday, October 17, 2011 Our agenda will be: 1. Discussing feedback
from the external review board 2. Course evaluations from 2010-11 and course
review 3. Revising program objectives to make ABET happier next time around
4. Another approach to increase the interaction between faculty and undergrads
is to distribute undergrad advising to all faculty instead of concentrating
it with one or two advisors.
- Design CS443 Compiler Theory - possible new UG cs elec (to replace
Friday, November 18, 2011
- MATH350 approved as math elec F11_MATH350Advert2011plusSyllabus.pdf
- Ask teachers to work on CS350/CS351 transition
- Ask CS487 teachers to meet to share best practices. I am also starting
conversations with people in the grad business school about how we can
pair up students in some of their grad business classes with students in
s/w engineering to enable more real world projects in cs487.
Wednesday, December 07, Some updates for Spring
- DELETE CS430 #8 - Communicate theoretical and experimental analyses
of a set of algorithms (i.e. sorting) in a lab report format.
- ADD NEW CLASS - CS110 Computing Principles (new AP CS, for non majors