Some Suggested Term Projects of CS595
Last modified Jan. 7, 2004
Pervasive computing and Web service is a very wide area, especially when we have extended our
concern to middleware issues. Here I list some topics pumped out at this time. I will update this list
from time to time.
- Survey on context-aware computing, location-aware computing, mobility, or certain
pervasive techniques or applications. A starting point is
IEEE Pervasive Computing Journal .
Sample survey articles can be found at
ACM Computing Survey
Pervasive Computing Applications
HawkTour and other pervasive computing application is being explored by the IPRO 305 team
Sensor applications, i.g.
Wireless Network of Biomedical Sensors . This work is related
Dr. Philip Troyk's research at IIT
biomedical engineering department, or utilizes the
Scarlet context-aware infrastructure with sensors.
Others, such as Personal Television Assistant (PTA), smart home theater, smart home, etc.
- Computing mobility (process migration) in Pervasive Computing, see
File migration issues
- Performance Prediction Engine : It predicts the resource availability and
the mean and variation of execution time of an application in grid environment.
It is composed of system-level prediction and application-level prediction.
- Performance Measurement Engine: It measures the characteristic of various
resources: CPU, I/O devices, Network. Some of general characteristics of
resources in a shared environment are availability, utilization and job
arrival rate and service rate. The challenges in measurement are efficient
- Task Manager Engine: It is the interface between GHS and users. Users enter
the application characteristics and GHS returns possible scheduling patterns
and prediction results. After negotiation, final task-resource mapping will
be stored and tasks will be performed in selected resources.
- Information Service: It provides resource and components of GHS registration
and un-registration mechanisms. It provides components of GHS with information
about the location and abilities of other components of GHS and status of
resources (busy or idle).
- Performance Database: It collects resource performance data from the Performance
Measurement Engine and provides performance information query for Information
- Install and use the IXIA network traffic generator and measurement to measure and predic network