My current research interests are mainly about
the algorithm design and analysis for practical questions, including
I am a director of the IIT Wireless Networking Laboratory at Computer Science Department,
and a member of IIT
Information Retrieval Laboratory.
- Network: algorithm design and analysis for wireless ad hoc, and sensor networks;
topology control; QoS routing algorithms.
- Truthful computing: protocol design in networks with selfish participants;
cost/value sharing for cooperative games.
- Cryptography and Network Security: protocol design in networks with some malicious participants,
related to trusted computing.
- Computational geometry: mesh generation, surfaces reconstruction and simplification
Check the list of
Call for papers in Networking
areas, the Call for
Papers in Theory Area, or
a list of call for papers and journal information collected by me.
Some representive publications:
Shi Li, YunHao Liu, Xiang-Yang Li
You can download my recent publications
here, or check some selected
publication list here.
Capacity of Large Scale Wireless Networks Under Gaussian Channel Model
ACM MobiCom, 2008 (Acceptance Ratio: 31 out of 264)
- Xiang-Yang Li
Multicast Capacity of Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
IEEE/ACM Tracsaction on Networking, January, 2008.
(ACM MobiCom 2007, Acceptance Ratio: 26 out of 233,
- WeiZhao Wang and Yu Wang and Xiang-Yang Li and WenZhan Song and Ophir Frieder
Efficient Interference-Aware TDMA
Link Scheduling for Static Wireless Networks
ACM MobiCom 2006
(Acceptance Ratio: 35 out of 298, 12%)
- WeiZhao Wang and Stephan Eidenbez and Yu Wang and Xiang-Yang Li
OURS- Optimal Unicast Routing Systems in Non-Cooperative
ACM MobiCom 2006
(Acceptance Ratio: 35 out of 298, 12%)
Xiang-Yang Li and Wen-Zhan Song and WeiZhao Wang
A Unified Energy Efficient Topology for Unicast and Broadcast
ACM MobiCom, 2005.
(Acceptance Ratio: 23 out of 224, 10%).
- Weizhao Wang, Xiang-Yang Li and Yu Wang
Truthful Multicast in Selfish Wireless Networks,
ACM MobiCom, 2004.
(Acceptance Ratio: 26 out of 327, 7.95%)
- Herbert Edelsbrunner, Xiang-Yang Li, Gary Miller,
Andreas Stathopoulos, Dafna Talmor, Shang-Hua Teng,
Alper Ungor and Noel Walkington
Smoothing and cleaning up slivers
ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC00), 2000.
- Xiang-Yang Li, Shang-Hua Teng
Generate Sliver Free Three Dimensional Mesh,
Twelfth ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA),
See the complete list of courses that I taught at IIT.
- Fall 2006, I teach CS430: Introduction to Algorithms.
- Spring 2006, Fall 2005, Spring 2005,
Cryptography and Network Security (CS549).
- Fall 2004, Cryptography and Network Security (CS549).
- Summer 2004, Economics and Computer Science (CS595).
- I also teach CS591-092 (Master Research and Thesis), CS691-092 (Research & Thesis for Ph.D)
and CS597-092 (CS Read/special Problems).
Students (guided at IIT)
For more information about conducting research with me,
check the information for students first.
- PhD students graduated:
Yu Wang (2000-2004, now an assistant professor at CS, UNCC from Fall 2004);
Wen-Zhan Song (2001-2005, as assistant professor of CS Dept of
Washington State University at Vancouver from Fall 2005);
Yusuf Hasan (2001-2005, co-advised with Prof. Morris Chang from ECE department of Iowa State Univ.);
Weizhao Wang (2002-2006), now at Google.
- PhD students (current):
Kousha Moaveninejad (2002-200?);
Ashraf Nusairat (2004-200?).
Yanwei Wu (2005-200?)
XuFei Mao (2006-200?)
5) ShaoJie Tang (2006-200?)
6) Ping Xu (2006-200?)
7) XiaoHua Xu (2007-200?)
- Visiting scholars:
DongSong Chen (Department of Computer Science, NorthEastern
University, China, 7.2006 -7.2007).
XiaoBing Wu (from Department of Computer
Science, NanJing University, 10.2007-10.2008)
Lan Shen (ZheJing Province, China, 8.2007-8.2008)
- MS students: Ovidiu Gabriel Cristea (CS, IIT, 2004), Mihai Moldovan (CS, IIT, 2005),
QiZhong Hu (CS, IIT, 2006), Chang-Ling Huang (CS, IIT, 2006), Sebastian Vas
(CS, IIT, 2006).
- MS thesis committee: Nguyen, Antonie-Dienth (CS, 2001), Naga Kunderu (CS, 2004)
- PhD thesis committee: Khaled M. Alzoubi (CS, IIT, 2003), Chih-Wei Yi (CS, IIT, 2005),
HaiGang Feng (ECE, IIT, 2005), Erdal Oruklu (ECE, IIT, 2005),
Nie Zhong (ECE, IIT, 2005), Yufeng Lu (ECE, IIT, 2005), Laurent Nadeau (ECE,
IIT, 2006), Sutep Tongngam (CS, IIT, 2006).
See the complete list of professional services.
Chair of 1st International Workshop on Foundations of Wireless Ad
Hoc and Sensor Networking and Computing
(FOWANC 2008) will be co-located with ACM MobiHoc 2008.
Chair of 3rd International
Conference on Algorithmic Aspects of Information and Management. AAIM 2007.
Program Committee member of ACM MobiCom 2007, ACM MobiHoc 2006, IEEE INFOCOM 2005, ACM MobiHoc 2005, IEEE MASS 2004-2006, IEEE ICCCN 2004, IEEE RTSS 2004.
- Editor of a special issue of ACM MONET on Non-Cooperative Wireless Networking and Computing, 2004-2005.
- Editor of a special issue of IEEE JSAC on
Non-Cooperative Issues in Distributed Computing and Networking,
- Local arrangement team of ACM STOC 2004, ACM MobiHoc 2005.
- Ph.D., Department of Computer Science,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 2001
- M.S., Department of Computer Science,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 2000
- B.S., Dept. of Computer Science (minor degree in Business Management)
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1995
- Mathematics Olympic Class, managed by Tsinghua High-School, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1988-1990
- Best paper award of 35th Hawaii International Conference on System Science 2001 (HICSS'35).
- Hao Wang Award of 7th Annual International Computing and Combinatorics Conference 2001 (COCOON'01).
- The first place of JiangSu Province in junior (high-school) mathematics competition, 1989 and 1990, China.
NSF: Prefix-Free Vertex Coloring for Channel Assignment in OVSF-CDMA Wire-less
Ad Hoc Networks. PIs: Peng-Jun Wan and Xiang-Yang Li.
NSF: International Workshop on Theoretical Aspects of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor, and Peer-to-Peer Networks.
PI: Xiang-Yang Li .
Academic fun facts
My Erdos number is three, which means
I am 3-hops away from Paul Erdös (a great mathematician)
in the collaboration graph. The coauthors of mine
who have an Erdos number 2:
Gary Miller, H. Edelsbrunner, Shang-Hua Teng, Peng-Jun Wan, Ophir Frieder, Ivan Stojmenovic.
Also see my academic
ancestors: Shang-Hua Teng --> Gary Miller --> Manuel Blum (Turing Award) -->
Marvin Minsky (Turing Award) --> ... , --> Alonzo Church --> ... , -->
Poisson --> Lagrange --> Euler --> Bernoulli, .....
Last updated by XiangYang Li on Feb 25th, 2008.