- July, 2014, paper on Privacy.Tag was accepted by ACM SenSys 2014.
- July, 2014, Dr. Li co-organized a summer school for future
networking research, Nanjing.
- June 2014, One NSF CMMI grant is awarded on traffic routing.
- June, 2014, two papers were accepted by IEEE ICNP 2014 (32 out of 160
- June 2014, two papers were accepted by ACM MobiCom 2014 (36 out of 220
- April 2014, Six papers were presented at IEEE INFOCOM 2014.
- March, 2014, our PhD graduate Shaojie Tang will start as tenure-track assistant
professor at UT Dallas, business school.
- Dr. Li is chairing ACM MobiHoc 2014 conference.
My research was supported by US NSF and NSF of China.
My current research interests are mainly about
the algorithm design and analysis for practical questions, including
wireless ad hoc and sensor networks;
protocol design in networks with selfish participants;
protocol design in networks with some malicious participants,
related to trusted computing; computational geometry;
the properties and applications of social networks formed by social
(recruiting ad in
FOUR Research assistant positions are available (remain openning till
filled), please follow application instructions to apply. Currently, I am particularly interested in applicants
with background in one or more of the following (1) wireless
networking and mobile computing, (2) cognitive radio and MIMO
technology, (3) algorithmic method and optimization (4) RF and PCB
Our Research in the news
- SilentSense project
GreenOrbs project in
- Invited Research
(01.14.2009), University of Notre Dame (02.02.2012), Clemson (02.07.2012), USTC
2013, shiep. 05.17.2013. UNCC (02.08.2013),
Director of the IIT Wireless Networking Laboratory,
and a member of IIT
Information Retrieval Laboratory.
EARS: Modeling and Analysis of Radar / Communications Spectrum
a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation.
This research effort focuses on the impact that 4G/LTE wireless
devices (e.g. cell towers and smart phones) may have on radar
altimeters operating in the 4200-4400 MHz spectral band.
To obtain this understanding, a significant spectrum measurement
campaign will be undertaken focused on appropriate radar altimeter
systems and on 4G/LTE systems.
1247944, EARS: Providing Predictable Service and Spectrum Access With Realtime Decision in Cognitive Multihop Wireless Networks,
a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation.
The objective of this project is to design real-time temporal-spatial
spectrum sharing, trading and accessing schemes to provide predictable
service and improve the network performances by fully exploiting the
channel availability (e.g., spatial, temporal, and spectral) and
quality (e.g., signal to interference plus noise ratio and data rate)
diversities using cognitive radio techniques.
1035894, CPS "Managing Loosely Coupled Networked Control Systems with
External Disturbances", led by IIT Computer Science Professors,
Xiang-Yang Li and Shangping Ren, together with two IIT Engineering
faculty, Professor Paul Anderson from the Department of Civil,
Architectural, and Environmental Engineering and Professor Fouad
Teymour from the Department of Chemical and Biological
Engineering, collaborated with the Metropolitan Water
Reclamation District of Greater Chicago.
This is an NSF funded CPS medium project with PI Xiang-Yang Li.
- CitySee project: a large scale sensor networks for monitoring
city environment. This is a project collaborated with Y. Liu from
Tsinghua and several other faculty, supported by WuXi government and
NSF of China.
- NSF 0832120, NeTS-NECO: Some Fundamental Problems for Performance
Study of Opportunistic Spectrum Utilization, with PI Xiang-Yang Li.
This work will develop, design, and implement efficient wireless
network protocols for better spectrum utilization and study some
fundamental performance bounds for networks with opportunistic
- GreenObs for forest monitoring
(collaboration with YunHao Liu from HKUST, JiZhong Zhao from Xi'An
JiaoTong, Ming Gu from Tsinghua, GuoMo Zhou from Zhejiang Forestry
Univ, GuoJun Dai from HangZhou DianZi, HuaDong Ma from Beijing
University of Posts and Telecommunications).
Sensor Network for Sea Monitoring (collaboration with YunHao Liu from HKUST).
China Digital Science and Technology Museum
for some wonderful discussions of research.
Books: Some books written or edited (or as area editor) by me.
Check the list of
Call for papers in Networking
areas, the Call for
Papers in Theory Area, or
a list of call for papers and journal information collected by me.
Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks: Theory and Applications,
ISBN-13: 9780521865234, Pub. Date: June 2008, Cambridge University
Encyclopedia of Algorithms, edited by Ming-Yang Kao, Springer publisher.
I am area editor for mobile computing.
- Sensor and Ad-Hoc Networks : Theoretical and Algorithmic Aspects,
by S. Kami Makki (Editor), Xiang-Yang Li (Editor), Niki Pissinou
(Editor), Shamila Makki (Editor), Masoumeh Karimi (Editor), Kia Makki
(Editor), ISBN-13: 9780387773193
Pub. Date: July 2008.
- Algorithmic Aspects in Information and Management: Third International Conference, AAIM 2007, Portland, or, USA, June 6-8, 2007, Proceedings.
See Google Scholar for my publication info:
Li @ Google Scholar.
Check here for more recent
or check here for some selected
publication list, or for
some results under review.
Yubo Yan, Panlong Yang, Xiang-Yang Li, Yue Tao, Lan Zhang, LiZhao You
ZIMO: Building Cross-Technology MIMO to Harmonize ZigBee Smog with WiFi
Flash without Intervention
ACM Mobicom 2013.
Zhenjiang Li, Wenwei Chen, Cheng Li, Mo Li, Xiang-Yang Li, Yunhao Liu
FLIGHT: clock calibration using fluorescent lighting.
ACM MOBICOM 2012: 329-340
XiaoHua Xu, Xiang-Yang Li, Peng-Jun Wan, and ShaoJie Tang
Scheduling for Periodic Aggregation Queries in Multihop
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2011, August.
Dezun Dong, Mo Li, Yunhao Liu, Xiang-Yang Li, and Xiangke Liao
Topological Detection on Wormholes in Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2011, March.
Ping Xu, and XiangYang Li
TOFU: Semi-Truthful Online Frequency Allocation Mechanism for Wireless Networks
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, July, 2010.
Zheng Yang, YunHao Liu, Xiang-Yang Li,
Beyond Trilateration: On the Localizability of Wireless Ad-hoc Networks
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Dec. 2010
Volume: 18 Issue:6 On page(s): 1806 - 1814
Xiang-Yang Li, YunHao Liu, Shi Li, and ShaoJie Tang
Multicast Capacity of Wireless Ad Hoc Networks Under Gaussian Channel Model
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking,
Aug. 2010, Volume: 18 Issue:4, On page(s): 1145 - 1157
Shi Li, YunHao Liu, Xiang-Yang Li
Capacity of Large Scale Wireless Networks Under Gaussian Channel Model
ACM MobiCom, 2008 (Acceptance Ratio: 31 out of
A best paper candidate..
- Xiang-Yang Li
Multicast Capacity of Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
IEEE/ACM Tracsaction on Networking, January, 2008.
- WeiZhao Wang and Yu Wang and Xiang-Yang Li and WenZhan Song and Ophir Frieder
Efficient Interference-Aware TDMA
Link Scheduling for Static Wireless Networks
ACM MobiCom 2006
(Acceptance Ratio: 35 out of 298, 12%)
- WeiZhao Wang and Stephan Eidenbez and Yu Wang and Xiang-Yang Li
OURS- Optimal Unicast Routing Systems in Non-Cooperative
ACM MobiCom 2006
(Acceptance Ratio: 35 out of 298, 12%)
Xiang-Yang Li and Wen-Zhan Song and WeiZhao Wang
A Unified Energy Efficient Topology for Unicast and Broadcast
ACM MobiCom, 2005.
(Acceptance Ratio: 23 out of 224, 10%).
one of 3 best-paper candidates.
- Weizhao Wang, Xiang-Yang Li and Yu Wang
Truthful Multicast in Selfish Wireless Networks,
ACM MobiCom, 2004.
(Acceptance Ratio: 26 out of 327, 7.95%)
- Herbert Edelsbrunner, Xiang-Yang Li, Gary Miller,
Andreas Stathopoulos, Dafna Talmor, Shang-Hua Teng,
Alper Ungor and Noel Walkington
Smoothing and cleaning up slivers
ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC00), 2000.
- Xiang-Yang Li, Shang-Hua Teng
Generate Sliver Free Three Dimensional Mesh,
Twelfth ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA),
Teaching (courses taught at IIT)
See the complete list of courses that I taught at IIT.
- CS 595/495, Social Networking: Theory and Applications
- CS 330: Discrete Structures.
- CS430: Introduction
Foundations of Cyber-Physical Systems>, now CS 557,
CS 557 CYBER-PHYSICAL SYSTEMS: Networking and Algorithms.
- CS530: Theory of
- CS549: Cryptography and
- CS595: Economics and
Computer Science .
- CS532: Formal Languages,
- I also teach CS591-192 (Master Research and Thesis), CS691-192
(Research & Thesis for Ph.D) and CS597-192 (CS Read/special
Group members and
Students (I am lucky to work with so many excellent students
at IIT, Microsoft Research Asia, TsingHua University, and many other
top universities in China)
For more information about conducting research with me,
check the information for students first.
- Graduated PhD students (congratulations to all, ☺):
- Yu Wang (2000-2004,
now full professor at CS, UNCC from Fall 2004);
Song (2001-2005, now full professor of CS Dept of
Georgia State University);
Yusuf Hasan (2001-2005, co-advised with Prof. Morris Chang from ECE
department of Iowa State Univ.);
Weizhao Wang (2002-2006),
now at Google.
(2002-2008); now working in Chicago.
Yanwei Wu (2005-2009,
now associate professor at West Oregon University ).
- XuFei Mao (2006-2010,
assistant professor at Beijing University of Posts and
Telecommunications, then post-doc at Tsinghua Univ., BeiJing, China,
now an assistant research professor at Tsinghua Univ.)
- Ping Xu (2006-2010),
now a financial trader in Chicago.
- Ashraf Nusairat
(2004-2011, now at Motorola).
- XiaoHua Xu
(2007-2012), visiting assistant professor at Toledo.
- Cheng Wang (2007-2011, Co-advised, from Tongji University, China,
graduated 2011). Assistant Professor at TongJi University.
- ShaoJie Tang
(2006-2012): wireless networks, social networks, (visiting assistant
professor at Temple, 2013 --- June 2014. now Assistant Professor at
University of Texas at Dallas, 2014 ---)
- Other PhD students (collaborated research leading to PhD thesis,
Congratulations to all, ☺)
- Lan Zhang (2009-2014), Tsinghua University, research on privacy
and mobile computing.
- ZhiPing Jiang (2012-present), Xi'An JiaoTong University, research
on mobile computing,
- Wei Xi (2008-2014, co-advised student), Xi'An JiaoTong University,
Dong Zhao (2010-2014, Thesis "Research on data gathering problem in mobile crowd-sensing networks"), BUPT
Yin Wang (2010.9-2014.6, co-advised student, Theis "Exploiting Constructive interference in sensor and ad hoc networks"), Tsinghua University,
Haitao Zhang (2008.9-2012.7, Thesis, "RESEARCH ON DATA TRANSMISSION SCHEDULING IN WIRElESS SENSOR NETWORKS"), BeiJing University of Post and
Telecommunications, BeiJing, now assistant professor at BUPT.
YanLi Cai, Shang-Hai JiaoTong University, 2009
Chi-Wei Yi, (2000-2005, IIT),
Yubo Yan (2011.9-2015, PLA University of
Science and Technology)
Bowen Li (2008-2012, PLA University of
Science and Technology, Thesis, "Research on Online Decision and Learning in DSA Networks Based on Stochastic Optimization Theory"),
YaQin Zhou (2010-2014, Institute Of Computing Technology, Chinese
Academy Of Sciences),
Lufeng Mo (2007-2012, Xi'An JiaoTong University)
Chao Ren (2007-2010, co-advised, Northwestern Polytechnical
Deke Guo (2003-2008, Thesis title "Research on Peer-to-Peer Networks Based
on Kautz Digraph and Bloom Filters"), NUDT.
- Dezun Dong (2005.2 to 2010.12, Thesis "Research on Topology
Recognition and Construction in Wireless Sensor Networks"), NUDT
- Current PhD students
- Taeho Jung : security,
- JunZe Han: social networks, mobile computing (2011-????)
- Jing Zhao: smart grid, mobile networks (2012-????)
- Xuesi Jiang (2014-)
- MS students:
- 2004: Ovidiu Gabriel Cristea (CS, IIT),
- 2005: Mihai Moldovan (CS, IIT),
- 2006: QiZhong Hu (CS, IIT), Chang-Ling Huang (CS, IIT), Sebastian Vas
- 2009: Min Gyung Kwak (CS, IIT).
YiTian Pan (CS, IIT, 2010-2011),
Eric Sze Ching Duan (CS, IIT, 2010-2012, sensor networks),
Unsuk Heo (CS, IIT, undergraduate, 2010-2011),
Yue Tao (EE, IIT, 2010-2012, sensor networks),
Hao Bian (CS, IIT, 2010-2012, security),
SuFeng Niu (EE, IIT, 2010-2012),
- 2011: ShiGuang Wang
Xiao Han (CS, IIT, 2011),
PengQian Hu (CS, IIT, 2011-2012),
GuoBiao Yang (CS, IIT, cloud computing, 2011-2012),
Chan Guo (CS, IIT, Spam Detection on social networks, 2012),
YanJie Wang (CS, IIT, 2011-2012),
Juan Garcia (CS, IIT),
Siddharth Shankar (CS, IIT, 2011-2012),
Wei Wang (CS, IIT, 2011-2012),
YiFan Zhu (CS, IIT, 2011-2012),
ShuFan Wang (CS, IIT, 2011),
Xuesi Jian (CS, IIT, 2011-2013, social networks and privacy),
RuiHan Zhu (CS, IIT, 2011-2012, social networks),
ShuKun Xie (CS, IIT, 2012-, cloud computing),
Jiawei Cao (CS, IIT, 2013-2014)
Dong Ding (CS, IIT, 2013-)
Hanlu Feng (CS, IIT, 2013-)
Haohua Du (CS, IIT, 2013-)
JingShan Yin (CS, IIT, 2013-2014)
Ruoxi Chen (CS, IIT, 2013-2013)
YueQing Zhang (CS, IIT, 2013-)
Qian Zhang (CS, IIT, 2013-)
Cheng Bo (localization, sensor networks, 2011-2013, joining UNCC
from 2014 after exiting PhD in 2013)
- 2014: Yue Tao (cognitive radio networks, sensor networks, PhD
started in 2012, exit the program in 2014 with MS degree).
Students at MSRA: YaJun Wang (from HKUST) 2007 Summer, WangSeng Feng
(from Peking University), 2007 Summer.
- Visiting scholars:
- DongSong Chen (Department of Computer Science, NorthEastern
University, China, 7.2006 -7.2007).
- XiaoBing Wu (PhD student, Department of Computer
Science, NanJing University, 10.2007-10.2008)
- Lan Shen (ZheJing Province, China, 8.2007-8.2008)
- YuanFang Chen (PhD student, Dalian University of Technology, China),
- Dan Tao, BeiJing Jiaotong University (2010.11-2011.11)
- Haitao Zhang, (PhD Student) BeiJing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- Lan Yao, NorthEastern University (2011.11-2012.11),
- ZhiBin Zhao, NorthEastern University (2012.04-2013.04),
- Dong Zhao, (PhD student) BeiJing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- Xu Zhang, BeiJing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- ZengHua Zhao, TianJing University, (2013.9-2014.3)
- Yonglei Yao, NanJing University of Information Science and
- JiaHao Wang, University of Electronic Science and Technology, Chendu (2014.1.-2015.1)
- ChunHong Zhang, BeiJing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- Gang Lu, Shaanxi Normal University, April 2014--March 2015
- MS thesis committee (not complete): Nguyen, Antonie-Dienth (CS, 2001), Naga Kunderu (CS, 2004)
- PhD thesis committee (not complete): Khaled M. Alzoubi (CS, IIT, 2003), Chih-Wei Yi (CS, IIT, 2005),
HaiGang Feng (ECE, IIT, 2005), Erdal Oruklu (ECE, IIT, 2005),
Nie Zhong (ECE, IIT, 2005), Yufeng Lu (ECE, IIT, 2005), Laurent Nadeau (ECE,
IIT, 2006), Sutep Tongngam (CS, IIT, 8.2008)
Send me an email if your name is missed from the above list.
Professional services (not
updated for a while)
See the complete list of professional services.
- Editors of IEEE TPDS, IEEE TMC, Networks, Computer Communications.
- TPC Chair of ACM MobiHoc 2014, IEEE MASS 2013, IEEE MSN 2011,
AAIM 2011, vice TPC chair of IEEE
MASS 2011, AAIM 2007, and so on
- local co-chair of ACM Mobicom, mobihoc 2010,
ACM STOC 2004, ACM MobiHoc 200
- Program Committee member of ACM MobiCom 2007, ACM MobiHoc 2005-2006, IEEE INFOCOM 2005-2011, IEEE MASS 2004-2006, IEEE ICCCN 2004, IEEE RTSS 2004.
- Guest Editor of ACM MONET SI 2004-2005, IEEE JSAC SI, and so
- Panel of USA NSF, panel member of NSF China 2007-2011.
- Ph.D., Department of Computer Science,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 2001
- M.S., Department of Computer Science,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 2000
- B.S., Dept. of Computer Science (minor degree in Business Management)
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1995
- Mathematics Olympic Class, managed by Tsinghua High-School, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1988-1990
More awards and funding support.
- Dean's Excellence in Research Award in 2011, College of Science
and Letters, IIT
- China's Young Outstanding Overseas Researcher (Information
Technology), 2008, 2012.
- Best paper session in ACM MobiCom 2005;
- Best paper candidate for ACM MobiCom 2008.
- Best paper award of 35th Hawaii International Conference on System Science 2001 (HICSS'35).
- Hao Wang Award of 7th Annual International Computing and Combinatorics Conference 2001 (COCOON'01).
- The first place of JiangSu Province in junior (high-school) mathematics competition, 1989 and 1990, China.
Academic fun facts
My Erdos number is three, which means
I am 3-hops away from Paul Erdös (a great mathematician)
in the collaboration graph. The coauthors of mine
who have an Erdos number 2:
Gary Miller, H. Edelsbrunner, Shang-Hua Teng, Peng-Jun Wan, Ophir Frieder, Ivan Stojmenovic.
Also see my academic
ancestors: Shang-Hua Teng --> Gary Miller --> Manuel Blum (Turing Award) -->
Marvin Minsky (Turing Award) --> ... , --> Alonzo Church --> ... , -->
Poisson --> Lagrange --> Euler --> Bernoulli, .....
Last updated by XiangYang Li on Jan 5th, 2010.